Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Hincheyville



Marker ID:  
Location: 615 W Main St, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.393    W 086° 52.379
  35.92321666    -86.87298333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MT9
 



Text:

In early 1819, Alfred Balch, Felix Grundy, James Irwin, Randal McGavock, and James Trimble developed Hincheyville, Franklin's first subdivision. The ninety acres, extending from Fair to Eleventh Avenues, including 26 lots on Fair Street, 25 lots on Main Street, and 8 lots on Bridge Street. The subdivision was named for Hinchea Petway, a wealthy merchant who had owned the land and whose fine brick home, built across Main Street approximately 90 yards west, had to be razed. Hincheyville was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Erected 1993 by Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County.