Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Leiper's Fork



Marker ID:  
Location: on Old Hillsboro Rd. north of Floyd Rd., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 53.806    W 086° 59.590
  35.89676666    -86.99316666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3GYR
 



Text:

Situation on the Natchez Trace, the village and stream were named for the pioneer surveyor Hugh Leiper. The Adams, Benton, Bond, Carl, Cummins, Davis, Dobbins, Hunter, Meadows, Parham, Southall and Wilkins families were early settlers. Later, the Sweeny, Inman, Locke, Lunn, Mayberry, Martin, Jones, and Burdette failies lived here. Leiper's Fork had a post office from 1818 until 1918, a bank from 1912 until 1932, and a station on the 41.5 mile-long Middle Tennessee Railroad from 1909 until 1927. Hillsboro Academy (1890 - 1904), established by Professor Will Anderson, became a public schoo lin 1905.

Williamson County Historical Society (2005)