Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Leiper's Fork Chuch of Christ



Marker ID:  
Location: 4207 Old Hillsboro Rd, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 53.726    W 086° 59.927
  35.89543333    -86.99878333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3GZ0
 



Text:

The Union Meeting House was built on this site in 1821. With the Retoration movement and the preaching of Andrew Craig and Joel Anderson, Leiper's Fork becaume the first Church of Christ south of Nashville. In 1831, Seth and Rebecca Sparkman were the first members to be baptised for the remission of sins. David Lipscomb led a convention of Christians, who met here in 1862, to adopt positions as non-combatants in the Civil War. Their petition to Military Governor Andrew Johnson was rejected.

Williamson County Historical Society.