Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mallory Springhouse



Marker ID:  
Location: 7128 S Springs Dr, Franklin, TN 
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 57.245    W 086° 49.018
  35.95408333    -86.81696666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8TP
 



Text:

Long before Thomas Sharp Spencer was granted the surrounding 320 acres in 1788 for Revolutionary War service, Native Americans used this spring as a camp site. Numerous stone artifacts found nearby attest to their presence. The springhouse dates to John and Sarah Crockett Mallory, who purchased 105 acres from Elizabeth Spencer in 1813. In modern times, the spring supplied water to Pratt Dairy, four family households, and Mallory School. Students carried buckets of water to refresh their classmates until the school closed in 1949. This early 19th century springhouse, today situated within a thriving commercial center, symbolizes the enormous transformation of Williamson County has experienced in two centuries.



Williamson County Historical Society
In Memory of Marvin H. Pratt, Sr.
by his wife, Esther, and Children
Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County