Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Masonic Temple



Marker ID:  
Location: on 2nd Ave South, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.517    W 086° 52.02
  35.92528333    -86.867
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8YV
 



Text:

This Masonic Temple, home of Hiram Lodge No. 7, built in 1823, was the first three-story building in Tennessee, and was at that time, the tallest building west of the Allegheny Mountains. It has been occupied by Hiram Lodge No. 7 since its completion, making it one of the oldest continuing Lodges at the same location in the United States. It was the site of President Andrew Jackson's Treaty with Chickasaw Indians in 1830, and served as an observation post and hospital at the time of the Battle Franklin in November, 1864.

Erected 1984 by Williamson County Historical Society.