Historic Markers Across Tennessee



McGavock Confederate Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: 1345 Carnton Ln. (east end of the cemetery), Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.272    W 086° 51.592
  35.90453333    -86.85986666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9ME
 



Text:

In the spring of 1866, Col. John McGavock, seeing the deteriorating condition of the Confederate graves on the Franklin battlefield, set aside 2 acres of Carnton Plantation as the nation's largest private Confederate cemetery. The dead were reinterred here in order by states. In 1890, the wooden markers, which were inscribed with the names of the men, their companies and regiments, when known, were replaced with stone markers. Burial records were preserved by Col. McGavock wife, the former Carrie Winder. She and her husband maintained the cemetery for the balance of their lives.



Williamson County Historical Society