Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: on 5th Ave. S north of Church St,. Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.358    W 086° 52.239
  35.92263333    -86.87065
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9MJ
 



Text:

This building stands at the church’s third location. The original brick sanctuary stood on the east side of First Avenue facing Church Street. Land for it had been given in 1799 by Franklin founder Abram Maury. Pioneer Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached there in 1812. The church, relocated in 1830 to the N. E. corner of Second and Church. That building was used as a hospital during the Battle of Franklin. Following the Civil War, the congregation of 238 purchased this triangular lot for $300. Construction began in 1869, with completion in 1871 and expansions in 1882, 1916, 1949 and 1955 . The spire, destroyed in 1927, was replaced in 1995.



Williamson County Historical Society