Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Nolensville



Marker ID:  
Location: 7288 Nolensville Road, Nolensville, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 57.199    W 086° 40.2
  35.95331666    -86.67
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

William Nolen purchased a portion of a land grant to Jason Thompson on which Nolensville was later built. In the early 1800s a large migration from Rockingham N.C. brought the Adams, Allen, Barnes, Cyrus, Fields, Glenn, Irion, Johnson, Peay, Scales, Taylor, Vernon, Wisener and other families to the area. Built along Mill Creek, the town was incorporated in 1839. Foraging and skirmishing took place here in the Civil War. Gen. John Wharton's Confederate Calvary unit was stationed in town briefly and Gen. Joseph's Wheeler's command captured a Union supply train here on December 30, 1862. Several buildings in the business district burned in 1953. Nolensville was re-incorporated in 1996.

Erected 1999 by Williamson County Historical Society