Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Old Town



Marker ID:  
Location: on Old Natchez Trace south of Lawrence Rd., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 59.737    W 086° 56.154
  35.99561666    -86.9359
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM20H9
 



Text:

The highly developed Indian society which flourished here between 900 and 1450 A.D. is now marked by several earth mounds in the field south of this marker. The village was surrounded by a palisade wall. Nearby are dry laid stone abutments of a bridge built over Brown Creek (formerly Donelson Creek) by the U.S. Government in 1801 to facilitate travel on the Natchez Trace. The house 300 yards south, was built by Thomas Brown ca 1854. It and the bridge were placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1988, the Indian site in 1989.

Williamson County Historical Society.