Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Presbyterian Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 615 West Main Street, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.434    W 086° 52.287
  35.9239    -86.87145
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM88F
 



Text:

The Presbyterian Church was organized in Franklin by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn on June 8, 1811 and first located near City Cemetery. The church moved to this location in 1842. The Reverend A.N. Cunningham was pastor from 1843 to 1857. In 1847, he founded Franklin Female Institute, which was temporarily housed here. After the Battle of Franklin, the building was used as a hospital by Federal troops and severely damaged. In 1888 a house of worship in the Romanesque Revivial style of H.H. Richardson was erected. After a fire in 1905, the church was rebuilt in 1908. In 1992, those members of the congregation that wished to remain on this historic site, organized the Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church.

Erected 1997 by Williamson County Historical Society.