Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Rest Haven Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: at the Cemetery on 4th Ave. N, north of N Margin St., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.702    W 086° 52.389
  35.92836666    -86.87315
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM88H
 



Text:

In 1855, eminent Franklin lawyer, John Marshall gave a seven-acre lot for a new cemetery to be located immediately west of the City Cemetery. Early Methodist minister, Thomas L. Douglass and numerous Confederate soldiers are buried here. Among the latter is Capt. “Tod” Carter, who was mortally wounded during the Battle of Franklin. Also interred here are post-Civil War Franklin leaders, John B. McEwen, and Dr. Daniel P. Cliffe. McEwen was an entrepreneur, lawyer and owner of Fernvale Springs. Dr. Cliff was a respected physician, Confederate surgeon, and president of the Nashville and the Decatur Railroad. He is buried with family members, including his daughter Belle, and her husband General James P. Brownlow, U.S.A.



Williamson County Historical Society 1996