Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Rock Hill



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Wilson Pike (Tennessee Route 256) and Burke Hollow Road, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 53.748    W 086° 43.97
  35.8958    -86.73283333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

With the completion in 1844 of the Harpeth Turnpike, now known as Wilson Pike, the hamlet of Rock Hill grew and became the commercial center for a large area. The original store and post office building was located 350 yds south at the driveway entrance to the George Pollard house. Beyond the store, near the Pollard-Tulloss graveyard, was a steam cotton gin operated by Pollard and Tom Tulloss. The turnpike's southern-most tollgate was located at the junction with Starnes' Mill (Shag Rag) Road. Near the entrance to Burke Hollow Rd were a blacksmith shop and sawmill. At this site Rock Hill's second store was built in 1896. Operated for many years by S.R. Lamb, it burned in 1954.

Erected 1998 by Williamson County Historical Society.