Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Southall



Marker ID:  
Location: on Carters Creek Pike at Southhall Rd. Williamson, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 53.549    W 086° 55.550
  35.89248333    -86.92583333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6F5P
 



Text:

This community was named for James Southall, a soldier in the Battle of New Orleans. In 1876 Sam Allen, James Banks, J.S. Cotton, C.D. Kirkpatrick, Byron Lillie, and Theo Scruggs organized and built the Berea Church of Christ. A public school was located north of the church until 1953. White's Chapel Methodist Church, also organized in 1876, met until 1928. A post office was here from 1881 until 1904. The Carbsill Plant, operated by W.A. Johnson, processed paint pigment from locally mined shale from 1932 until 1947. Familiar community names include Alexander, Beard, Caldwell, Cannon, Coleman, Davis, Haffner, Haines, Hughes, Lane, McMillan, Mangrum, Nevils, Ormes, Sawyer, Vaughn, Whitley, and Yates.

Williamson County Historical Society