Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Tennessee Association Sons of Confederate Soldiers



Marker ID:  
Location: 1345 Carnton Ln, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.282    W 086° 51.734
  35.9047    -86.86223333
Waymark: WM9MF
 



Text:

Side 1:
The association was established at Franklin , on Sept. 14, 1892, in conjunction with the annual reunion of the Tennessee Association of Confederate Soldiers , which was held in McGavock's Grove 500 yards southeast of this marker. The Tennessee Association, Sons of Confederate Soldiers was founded by Delegates representing bivouacs from Winchester, Nash., Clarksville, Gainesboro, Knoxville, Franklin, and McKenzie. Known today as the Sons of Confederate Veterans (S. C. V.), the group continues to promote Confederate historical and memorial events.

Side 2:
The first officers of the association were Biscoe Hindman - President, Lee S. McEwen-Vice President, James Turney - second VP, Litton Hickman - Secretary, Frank Beaumont - Treasurer, Rev. Thomas Gailor-Chaplain, and James T. Quaries - Sergeant at arms. Ten thousand people were welcomed by the city before attending the program. They were seated at the dinner table, 1 1/4 mile long, while hearing tragic battle related stories from survivors of the hardfought Battle of Franklin, a mere 26 years earlier.