Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Trinity Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 2084 Wilson Pike, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.624    W 086° 45.216
  35.9104    -86.7536
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This United Methodist church was an outgrowth of Mt. Zion Methodist church, established about 1840 in Burke Hollow near the Tom Page house. Mt. Zion was destroyed in 1863 by Union soldiers who used its materials for a signal station on Daddy's Knob. Trinity church was organized in 1865 with most of its founders being former Condederate soldiers. On this site in 1869, a two-story brick building was completed with a school and Masonic lodge located above the church sanctuary. After damage by a tornado in 1897, the church was rebuilt on the same stone foundation with original handmade bricks. The second floor was not rebuilt. In 1909, the bell tower and the north and east walls were damaged by a tornado.

Erected 1997 by Williamson County Historical Society.