Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Triune



Marker ID:  
Location: 7950 Nolensville Road, College Grove, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 51.374    W 086° 39.505
  35.85623333    -86.65841666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM568Y
 



Text:

This village dates from about 1800 and was first called Hardeman Cross Roads. After 1849 it took the name of the Methodist Church and became known as Triune. Prior to the Civil War, Triune was a flourshing center of commerce and agriculture. Known for its fine schools and stately homes, the Triune district's four academies attracted students from afar. Hardeman Academy built 1/4 mile west in 1831, burned in 1904. Westview, the elegant antebellum mansion of Samuel Perkins, stood about 1/2 mile south until it burned in 1927. From 1863-1865 Triune was occupied by Union soldiers who destroyed homes, schools and churches. At least fifteen engagements were fought here.

Erected 1999 by Williamson County Historical Society.