Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Willow Plunge



Marker ID:  
Location: On Lewisburg Ave. (US 431at Carnton Ln., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 54.795    W 086° 51.806
  35.91325    -86.86343333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9MD
 



Text:

Opened in 1924, this was the largest outdoor concrete swimming pool in the South. Willow Plunge was owned, and for many years operated, by the Claiborne Kinnard family. Water was piped. 1,023 feet from the spring to the willow shaded double pool which measured 75 X 150 feet and had a capacity of 750,000 gallons. The water was treated by the latest scientific methods of purification, and was pure enough to be used for drinking. In 1932 Willow Plunge was named one of the six best equipped pools in the United States. Additional features included a tennis court, 9-hole golf course, miniature golf course, football field, aviation field and lake. Willow Plunge closed in 1967.



Erected by the Franklin Rotary Club at Breakfast
Williamson County Historical Society