Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Lillie Mills



Marker ID:  
Location: At the silos on First Ave S, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.531    W 086° 51.929
  35.92551666    -86.86548333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNYJR
 



Text:

Joshua P. Lillie established the Franklin Flouring
Mill on this site in 1869. C.H. Corn and W.F. Eakin
purchased the mill in 1909. In 1924, grain valued
at $400,000 was used to produce over 70,000 barrels
of "Franklin Lady Flour" and other products, which
were distributed primarily in southern markets.
By 1926, several improvements were made including the
construction of large concrete grain elevators at a
cost of $60,000 with a storage capacity of over
250,000 bushels of grain making it the second largest
facility in the state.

Dudley Casey purchased the mill in 1945 from Ernest
and Wilbur Corn. The five-story mill built ca. 1887
and valued at $700,000 burned on January 8, 1958. The
grain elevators survived the fire and continued to
operate for three decades.

Williamson County Historical Society 2010



Notes:

Two sided marker