Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry



Marker ID:  
Location: At the silos on First Ave S, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.531    W 086° 51.929
  35.92551666    -86.86548333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNYJV
 



Text:

Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parks and Joseph L. Campbell
established a manufacturing operation for the
production of cotton and woolen goods on this 3.5
acres site in 1825. The first steam powered loom in
the state was housed in the three-story building
measuring 50 foot long and 40 foot wide and contained
a 50 horsepower steam engine. By 1850, James
Plunkett became a partner in the business, which
employed 30 men and 17 women with a capital investment
of $35,672. The adjacent iron foundry had the capacity
to make castings for ploughs, stoves, andirons, gin
and mill machinery. It is believed the fluted columns
at the courthouse were molded here in 1857. In December
1862, the factory and foundry were destroyed by U.S.
troops under Brigadier Gen. David Stanley."

Williamson County Historical Society 2010



Notes:

Two sided marker