Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Franklin Interurban



Marker ID:  
Location: US 31 northeast of Franklin, TN, just outside the entrance to the Vanderbilt Legends Golf Club
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 57.010    W 086° 50.921
  35.95016666    -86.84868333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNYW6
 



Text:

In 1908, eight Nashville businessmen(Frank Bond, James
Fulcher, Frank Haskell, John H. MacMillen, James L. Parks Jr.,
Charles Ruth, W. H. Whittemore and D.J. Wikle) formed the Nashville
and Columbia Railroad. Completed in 1908, the Interurban was an
electric train, which ran from Franklin, where it circled the town
square, to Nashville. The cars ran from 7 A.M. to 11:30 P.M. and
carried both passengers and freight. Henry Hunter Mayberry, who
raised money for the venture and who became president in 1905,
was instrumental in its success. The Interurban converted to
gasoline-powered buses in 1942, a year after the Nashville Coach
Company completed doing so. The Interurban ceased operations in
1969.

Williamson County Historical Society 1999