Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 101 Legends Club Ln, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 56.973    W 086° 50.914
  35.94955    -86.84856666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMP0T3
 



Text:

First Presbyterian Church was organized on June 8, 1811 with 46 members, including 4 newly ordained elders, The founding pastor, the reverend Gideon Blackburn, was a noted preacher, teacher, founder of numerous churches and schools, and a missionary to the Cherokees. The congregation
built a meeting house adjacent to the City Cemetery in 1815. It relocated to the corner of Fifth Avenue and Main Street in 1842, where it remained for 152 years. On September 18, 1994 this building was dedicated to the Glory of God, continuing a history of Reformed worship, Christian education, and local and world education.

Sola Gratia, solo Christo, sola fide, sola scriptura.

Williamson County Historical Society 1997