Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Pyle Clinic



Marker ID:  
Location: 407 Church Street, Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.384    W 086° 52.116
  35.92306666    -86.8686
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMP0ZD
 



Text:

THE PYLE CLINIC
1941-1958


Dr. Walter Pyle (1908-1977) opened his clinic at 407 Church Street in 1941. He acquired the property from C.W. Harper for $700, building the block and stucco structure for $7,000. As one of the few local full-service clinics, the Pyle Clinic is said to have been the birthplace of more than one-third of Williamson Countians through the 1940s and 1950s. In 1947 Dr. Pyle bought the house next door to the clinic and attached the two structures, opening the second of three hospitals operating in the County. The other medical clinics included the German Hospital and Dr. Johnson's Clinic. Physicians who practiced at the Pyle Clinic included Drs Adolphus Bray, Parker Elrod, C.F. Lackey, Vincent DiRenzo and William Encke.


(reverse)

Nurses practicing at the clinic includes Head Nurse Sara Sherrod, Mildred Stanfield, Polly Johnson, Francis Jackson, and Bonnie Green. An office visit to the clinic cost about $2 or $4 for an overnight hospital stay. It was not unusual for payment to be offered through bushels of garden produce, home-baked pies or fresh game. The Pyle Clinic and Hospital closed in late 1958, after the original Williamson County Hospital opened on west Main Street. Since then, the building has gone on to serve the community. It operated as the Department of Human Services for over 20 years, and more recently has been the home of several successful businesses and services.

Courtesy of Dr James and Anita Tilley

Williamson County Historical Society 2007