Historic Markers Across Tennessee



“Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood / Lot 60 at the corner of Church and Cameron Street



Marker ID:  
Location: 202 Church St., Franklin, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 55.453    W 086° 52.003
  35.92421666    -86.86671666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMP1HE
 



Text:

"BUCKET OF BLOOD"
NEIGHBORHOOD


Franklin's Methodist Church stood on the corner across the street, where the modern-day town homes are located, from 1830 until 1873. Shorter Chapel A.M.E. Church used the same brick sanctuary until 1925, before moving to Natchez and Fowlkes Street. By 1910, black laborers working at Lillie Mills were living in factory-owned houses known as the "Bucket of Blood". According to local legend, this colorful name resulted from a knife fight in Pig Hodges pool room in which the victim bled a bucketful of blood. Local African
American landowners included Civil War Union veteran Freeman Thomas, Rev. William Perkins, Andrew Patton Clifton Baugh, Robert German Sam and Cal Hunter, Amanda Glass, Sister Kelly and W.H. West.


LOT 60 AT THE CORNER OF
CHURCH AND CAMERON STREET


In 1867 Rev. Otis O. Knight of Nashville purchased
Lot 60, selling the southern half to ex-slave A.N.C.
Williams and the northern half to the construction
of Wiley Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church (1868-
1944), an African American congregation, today used
by Pull-Tight Players. In 1906 William Munch and
Docia Owen House purchased this house and lot for
$500 and the property remained in the family til 2002.
Long the social center of the neighborhood, the House
family became known for the Patent Leather Kids, a
jazz band which included J.D. and Arvila "Bybee" House,
Fred Williams, Willie Wilson and George Ball. The
house was threatened with demolition until saved by local
preservationists led by Thelma Battle.

Williamson County Historical Society 2009