Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Burwood



Marker ID:  
Location: 5452 Carters Creek Pike, Thompsons Station, TN
County: Williamson
Coordinates: N 35° 48.756    W 086° 58.992
  35.8126    -86.9832
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Burwood


(Side 1)
Originally named Williamsburg, later Shaw, the village's name was changed to Burwood, a title taken from Mrs. Humphrey Ward's novel, "Robert Elsmere." Rev. John Pope, a Revolutionary War veteran, built his home, Eastview, here in 1806. Other early settlers included Samuel Akin, Bird Dodson, Fielding Helm, Col. Hardy Murfree, Peter Parham, and Kinchen Sparkman. From 1826 until 1890, Cayce Springs Resort was renowned for its sulphur and mineral waters. The health spa included a hotel and guest cabins. Burwood School served the area from 1912 until 1976. Earlier, Williams Academy, established in 1879, was located in the village. Other schools, now gone, included West End, Mt. Laverene, Pearly Hill and Sycamore.

(Side 2)
In 1818 "Parson" John Pope gave two acres, two miles south, for Pope's Chapel Methodist Church. After a 1910 cyclone destroyed the brick structure, the congregation built, in 1913, the present Burwood Methodist Church. Burwood Church of Christ, originally known as West End, was moved to its present location in 1913. Lawrence Grove Baptist Church, located on the old Pope Campgrounds, was organized in 1917. Huff's store, built in 1910, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Carter's Creek Pike, a toll road from 1850 until 1917, connects the area to Franklin.

Williamson County Historical Society
1999.