Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mt. Olivet Baptist Church



Marker ID: THC 3A 102
Location: TN 109, Wilson County, at Hickory Ridge Road
County: Wilson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Mount Olivet, the oldest Baptist church in Wilson County was constituted on April 25, 1801. Until 1843, it was known as Big Cedar Lick Church. Begun in 1859, the native stone building, 3/4 mile west, was finished after the Civil War. Slaves hauled the stones for the 2-foot thick walls on a lizard pulled by oxen, then lifted them with a gin pole.