Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Cedar Grove Cemetery



Marker ID: THC 3A 201
Location: on Cumberland Street (U.S. 231), Lebanon, TN
County: Wilson
Coordinates: N 36° 11.52    W 086° 17.478
  36.192    -86.2913
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1846, the City of Lebanon purchased land for this public cemetery. Surveyed by Professor (later Lt. General, CSA) Alexander P. Stewart of Cumberland University, the first burial took place in 1849. Among the dignitaries resting here are William B. Campbell, Gov. of TN and Mexican War hero; Robert L. Caruthers, Gov. of TN and "Founder of Cumberland University;" General Robert H. Hatton, CSA; and Dixon L. Merritt, journalist and author of the limerick, "The Pelican." Buried here are a few Union veterans and more than 140 Confederate veterans, including James L. Barry (1847 -1947), Tennessee's last surviving Confederate soldier.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission