|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge
The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1845. Prior to the Civil War, the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently, the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had ceased by 1943. In 1907, the county contracted with James M. Hunt to build the present 110-foot bridge. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge´s web of planks crisscrossing at 45-to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. Will Cromer, a descendant of the original family, built the stone abutments.
2000.14 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration 58-3