|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
When Lowndes County was created December 23, 1825, Lawrence Folsom, Sion Hall, William Blair, John J. Underwood and Daniel McCauly were appointed Commissioners to select the capital of Lowndes County. The site which they chose, named Franklinville, was designated County Seat in 1828, and was located near the center of the Lowndes County area of 1825.
In 1833, the County Seat was moved to Troupville, a small settlement about four miles west of present-day Valdosta.
GHM 092-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961