|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
125 yards NW, at crest of hill, stood Fort Tyler - last Confederate fort to fall in War Between the States. Fort Tyler was of earthwork construction 35 yards square surrounded by a ditch 12 feet wide, 10 feet deep and enclosed by wooden abates. The fort was erected to protect important railroad and wagon bridges across the Chattahoochee River east of this point.
On Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865, the garrison of 265 Confederates - remnants of Point Coupe Louisiana and Waittes` South Carolina Batteries - aided by boys and convalescent Confederate soldiers - withstood the attack of 3,500 Federals before capitulating late in the afternoon. The (Confederate) forces were commanded by Gen. R.C. Tyler, Col. J.H. Fannin, Capts. Gonzales, Trepanier and Webb, Lieuts. Montgomery and McFarland. Units of 2nd and 4th Indiana, 7th Kentucky, and 1st Wisconsin commanded by Col. O.H. LaGrange, formed part of [Federal] forces.
Stone home of Dr. A.W. Griggs, Confederate surgeon, built in 1858 (remodeled 1951) stands 40 feet N.W. Although hit repeatedly by cannon fire of both forces, original walls are intact. Here Mrs. Griggs and other West Point women gave aid and shelter to wounded of both armies after the battle.
GHM 141-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1953